Joseph Leonas

Joseph Leonas

Chief of Police

Send an Email

General Information

The Lincolnshire Police Department issues various types of citations based upon violations of the Lincolnshire Code or State Statue. Citations issued for parking violations or administrative adjudication hearings may be paid online, in-person, or through the U.S. Mail.

Any citation issued to the 19th Judicial Circuit of Lake County, either the Mundelein Branch Courthouse or Waukegan Courthouse, may only be satisfied by following Lake County court procedures.

Administrative Adjudication Process

The Village of Lincolnshire’s Administrative Adjudication Program was created to hear local ordinance violations and provide a more efficient, cost-effective, and convenient alternative to hearing cases in branch court. Administrative adjudication is a civil, not criminal, proceeding.

What does “adjudication” mean?
Put simply, adjudication is the process of resolving a dispute. Hearings involve civil matters and nonviolent infractions.

What is the administrative adjudication process?
After receiving a citation, you have several options:

  1. Pay the Citation (if you do not contest it)

    1. Online: You can pay your citation online by clicking the “Secure Online Payment” button below.

      Click Here Pay
    2. In-Person: Visit Village Hall/Police Department (1 Olde Half Day Road) to pay in-person by credit card, check, or cash. In-person payments are only accepted during business hours (M-F, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.).

    3. U.S. Mail: Acceptable payments by mail include a check or money order made out to “Village of Lincolnshire” and sent to Lincolnshire Police Department, Attn: Records Division, 1 Olde Half Day Road, Lincolnshire, IL 60069. If mailing a payment, please include a copy of your citation.

    4. Dropbox: You can drop off your payment in the drop box located in the circle drive in front of the Lincolnshire Village Hall at any time.

  2. Contest the Citation
    Generally, there are five grounds to contest a citation:

    1. The illegal condition described in the violation did not exist when the citation was issued.

    2. The facts alleged in the violation are inconsistent or do not support a finding that the specified code was violated.

    3. The relevant signs prohibiting or restricting parking were missing or obscured.

    4. The cited vehicle or its registration plates were stolen at the time the violation occurred.

    5. The person who received the violation was not the owner or lessee of the cited vehicle at the time of the violation.

      1. Contest the Citation by Mail: You can contest the alleged violation without personally appearing at an administrative hearing. All materials must be received by the Village at least three days prior to the hearing date.

        To contest a violation by mail:

        1. Complete and sign the Contest by Mail Citation Review form.

        2. Submit the signed statement and other supporting materials to “Lincolnshire Police Records Division” (1 Olde Half Day Road, Lincolnshire, IL 60069).

        3. Include a self-addressed stamped envelope.

          The hearing officer will review the material submitted and make a determination of “Liable” or “Not Liable”. After determining liability, the hearing officer will assess fines in accordance with the Comprehensive Fine/Penalty Schedule found in the Village Code. You will receive a notice of liability via U.S. mail in the self-addressed stamped envelope you provide.

      2. Contest a Citation In-Person
        You may contest a citation in person by appearing before the hearing officer on the date and time indicated on the citation. Bring any supporting material or evidence needed to contest the violation. After determining liability, the hearing officer may assess fines in accordance with the Comprehensive Fine/Penalty Schedule found in the Village Code.

Where and when do Administrative Adjudication hearings take place?
The Village of Lincolnshire contracts with the Village of Libertyville for the administrative adjudication process. Cases are heard in the Libertyville Village Hall Board Room, located at 118 W Cook St., Libertyville, IL. Hearings take place on the third Wednesday of every month.

What do I bring the hearing?
You should bring any documents or materials you wish to present to the hearing officer as evidence. If English is not your primary language, please arrange to have a translator present.

Do I need an attorney?
You do not need an attorney and can represent yourself. You may hire an attorney at your own expense. You may also have someone else attend the hearing and represent you.

What if I miss my hearing or do not contest by mail?
If you fail to attend or contest by mail, the hearing officer will conduct the hearing in your absence and a default judgment may be made. The hearing officer may levy fines and penalties even in your absence. If you are found in default due to illness or emergency, you will have 21 days to request a new hearing date.

What do I do once I’ve corrected my property maintenance violation?
If you’ve been cited with a property maintenance violation, have paid the fine, and have corrected the violation, schedule an inspection with the Community & Economic Development Department, 847-913-2310.

What happens if I receive notice to appear in court (not administrative adjudication)?
Citations issued for violations with a court location at the Mundelein branch court or Waukegan courthouse must be satisfied in the 19th Judicial Circuit Court. Information about the court can be found HERE or by phone at 847-377-3600.

Traffic Court (Mundelein Branch Court) is located at 105 E. State Route 83, Mundelein, IL 60060.

The Waukegan courthouse is located at 18 N. County Street, Waukegan, IL 60085.

Contact the Records Division at 847-913-2350 if you have questions about your citation.

Sorry, this website uses features that your browser doesn’t support. Upgrade to a newer version of Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge and you’ll be all set.